Excel's default is when you press the Enter key after putting data into a cell, the cursor moves down to the next row.
But if you want it to go in a different direction (like to the cell in the next column), you can change the direction to which the cell pointer will move. Here's how:
- Click the Microsoft Office button
- Click the Excel Options button
- In the left-hand column click Advanced
- Under Editing Options, click the checkbox next to "After pressing Enter, move selection", and click the dropdown menu to select the direction you prefer
- Click the OK button
Excel 2003 and Excel 2000:
- On the menu bar, click Tools
- Click on the Edit tab
- Check the box next to "Move selection after Enter"
- Click the dropdown menu to choose the direction you want the pointer to move
- Click the OK button.