When you view a report in SirsiDynix WorkFlows, you can use Excel 2007 to sort the data to make the information easier to read & use. For example, you can sort titles in alphabetical order, call numbers or zip codes in numerical order, or whatever suits your needs.
Here's how to do it:
- View the WorkFlows report.
- On the Finished Reports > View Finished Reports dialog window, un-click the box next to "Format report".
- Click the OK button.
- When the report opens in WordPad, use your mouse to mark the text, then press Ctrl + C keys to copy it.
- Start Excel, and open a new blank worksheet.
- With the cursor in cell A1, press the Ctrl + V keys to paste the text into the spreadsheet.
- Click the header for Column A.
- Click the "Data" tab on Excel's ribbon.
- Click "Text to Columns" on the Excel's Data ribbon. This will open the Convert Text to Columns Wizard window to step 1 of 3.
- Make sure the circle next to Fixed width is chosen, and click the Next button.
- At the step 2 of 3 window you're shown a preview, where you can edit column break lines, then click the Next button.
- On the step 3 or 3 window, change the Column data format to Text by clicking the circle next to it. (This ensures barcodes are treated as plain text numbers, and aren't treated as numbers in a formula to be calculated.)
- Click the Finish button. And if it doesn't look quite right, just press the Ctrl + Z keys to revert the spreadsheet back so you can re-try.
- You can adjust the width of columns so all the data displays well.
- To sort data in a column, click on the column header, click the Sort A-Z on Excel's Data ribbon, and choose "Expand the selection."
If you have any questions, feel free to contact Karen at email@example.com or Karla at firstname.lastname@example.org. Both will be at the All-WALS meeting on November 30th, and can demo a run-through of this process for you.