When you get an error message and need tech support to fix a computer problem, troubleshooting the issue is much easier if you can share with your tech support person what it is you're seeing.In Windows, pressing the Print Screen / PrtScn key copies the whole screen image onto your the Windows Clipboard, so you can paste it into a Word document or an (HTML-format) e-mail message. If you press both the Alt key and the Print Screen key at the same time, you'll get a screenshot of just the active window. (The Print Screen key is near the upper-right corner of your keyboard)Here's how to do it:
- Click the error message you want to capture.
- Press Alt+Print Screen by holding down the Alt key and then pressing the Print Screen key.
- Click the Windows Start button
- Click Accessories
- Click Paint
- In the Paint window, click Edit, and then click Paste
- When the error message image appears in the Paint window, click File, and then click Save As.
- In the Save As dialog box, in the File name box, type a name for the screenshot.
- Click the Save button.
- You can now email this image as an email attachment, print it, or put it in a Word document.
Here's my favorite error message: