Google+ (pronounced "Google Plus") is a new social network. It looks a lot like Facebook, but it has some major differences in the ways it works.
When it was first released during a limited field trial, it was open by invitation only, but now Google+ is officially open to anyone with a Google account. All you have to do is to go to https://plus.google.com and sign in with your Gmail account, and you'll be in. If you have friends & colleagues you want to join you there, you can send invitations to them.
Notice: currently Google+ is available ONLY to individuals, so do NOT create a profile for your library yet! Entity profiles will be coming later in 2011, and Google has stated they'll work with users to remove non-user Google+ profiles; you can not create a profile for a non-person entity such as a business or a nonprofit institution.
- How to Get Started With Google+, Your Complete Guide [Social Media Examiner]
- Google+ Open For Everyone With a Google Account
- Google+ One-Ups Facebook [David Pogue, New York Times]
- Getting started with Google Plus and Circles (video)
- Google+ and Businesses
- Your Name and Google Profiles
- Google+ Privacy: 5 Settings You Need to Know
- use gplus.to to smallify the loooong link for your Google+ plus profile (hat tip to Tasha for this one)