If you're used to using Windows XP but are now using Windows 7 and have questions about finding stuff and doing basic tasks, spend a little time at About.com's Quick Guide to the Windows 7 Desktop.
Here are some of the tips offered there:
- Where's My XP Stuff?
- Shutting down your computer, one of the most basic things you do, has become more complicated in Windows 7. Learn what the new shutdown options do.
- What happened to XP's "'Quick Launch"'? It's gone, but has been replaced by something much better: the Windows 7 taskbar, which puts Quick Launch to shame.
- Another commonly-used XP feature was "'Show Desktop"'. Its function hasn't changed, but its look and location has.
- Pinning and unpinning programs into and out of the Windows 7 Taskbar.
- Using the battery meter to help your laptop's battery last longer.
- The new look of Windows 7 is called the "Aero" interface; here's how to use Aero Peek, Aero Snap, and Aero Shake.