Following up on my December 2011 post on how to Set Outlook to Automatically Empty Deleted Items Folder, here's how you can recover a deleted email message, calendar event, or task from the Deleted Items folder, even if you've emptied the folder.
Depending on your version of Outlook, you can recover items from Deleted Items, even if you've emptied it:
- While in Outlook, click on the Deleted Items folder
- On the menu bar, click on Tools - Recover Deleted Items
- This will bring up a small window that lists all items that have been emptied from your Deleted Items folder. You can click on the column headings to sort by Subject, Deleted On date, the person who sent the message, and the date you Received the item.
- To recover an email, select it, and then click the Recover Selected Items button:
When you recover a deleted item, it gets restored into Deleted Items. Also, it may take a moment to appear. Items deleted within the last 30 days can be retrieved this way.
You can also recover items from Outlook Web Access:
- While in Outlook Web Access, click on the Options icon or bar in the lower left hand corner:
- Scroll down to the very bottom of the Options page, and you'll see at Recover Deleted Items section.Click the View Items button.
- Find the message you want to restore, click on it, and then click the Recover button: